A Hiking with Shawn Community!

Hey ?

Unagi

Jan 11, 2021
Hey y’all, Unagi here. I found a link to this forum on Twitter. I’m interested in light weight backpacking, thru hiking, and trail running. I’m planning to complete the River to River this year as a shakedown for a longer thru hike in 2022. Cheers

Shawn Gossman

Chief Forum Ranger
Staff member
Chief Forum Ranger
Forum Ranger
Dec 31, 2020
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here. Have you hiked any of the R2R before?

Unagi

Jan 11, 2021
Yeah! I haven’t completed any sections but have hiked a bit of it, mainly around Bald Knob, Cedar Lake, Panthers Den, Giant City areas

Shawn Gossman

Chief Forum Ranger
Staff member
Chief Forum Ranger
Forum Ranger
Dec 31, 2020
Yeah! I haven’t completed any sections but have hiked a bit of it, mainly around Bald Knob, Cedar Lake, Panthers Den, Giant City areas
The Bald Knob to Pine Hills section is great. Hutchins Creek is amazing!

Kolson

Jan 17, 2021
We're considering a trip to Red Cedar trail based on Shawn's review. I saw water crossing...will that be difficult to navigate for beginners?

Shawn Gossman

Chief Forum Ranger
Staff member
Chief Forum Ranger
Forum Ranger
Dec 31, 2020
We're considering a trip to Red Cedar trail based on Shawn's review. I saw water crossing...will that be difficult to navigate for beginners?
Nah, it is very easy! In fact, I try to recommend people go there to prepare themselves for a more backcountry or thru-hike experience. :)